Just heard an interview with a women who arrived at a southern California mall at 4:30 this morning because she thought joining the crowds lined up for the traditional day-after-Thanksgiving deals would be an interesting “experience.” I’m sure she’s right on some level, though honestly battling the Black Friday throngs for questionable deals on things I have no real use for is one adventure I have absolutely no interest in.
As a matter of fact, I’ve long been a proponent of the philosophy that we’re all burdened by way too much “stuff.” All of which will wear out, go out of style, or just plain get ignored at the back of the hall closet much sooner than we’d care to imagine. Which explains why one of XTRORD.com’s core principles is that “Possessions don’t last but memories do.”
With that in mind, it shouldn’t come as much of a surprise that I recommend giving the gift of an extraordinary experience this holiday. Besides providing your giftee with a day they’ll never forget, you can also take satisfaction in knowing that you’ll be able to avoid the whole hassle of standing in line at the Returns counter when you discover that your friends and relatives already had one.
If you’re in need of some specific ideas for once-in-a-lifetime adventure gifts, here are a few I can highly recommend based on personal experience:
- Let your favorite guitar hero live out their rock star fantasies (minus the groupies) at Rock-n-Roll Fantasy Camp.
- Give her an experience that’s as unique as she is by creating her own one-of-a-kind custom fragrance.
- Honestly now, what guy (actually, I’m told girls like it too) wouldn’t dig spending the day operating a 10-ton bulldozer or excavator?
- Top Gun wannabes can take the controls of their own fighter plane at Air Combat USA and go head-to-head with an opponent in full-on dogfights.
- If you know someone who has dreams where they find themselves flying like a bird, make those visions come true on a tandem paragliding flight.
- Find out what the whole surfing craze is about with these affordable surfing lessons.
- This drag racing school is one of the few places where putting the pedal to the metal is actually encouraged.
- History buffs and aviation geeks will both love these one-hour flights aboard an authentic World War II-era B-17 bomber.
- If you know someone who enjoys sailing, it’s a pretty safe bet they’ll get off on taking the wheel of a genuine America’s Cup yacht.