Dec

Amazing Race, Leisurely Pace

by Alan Rider

imagesMaybe it’s just me, but the idea of being herded around Europe on one of those organized group tours seems unbearably tedious. Now, however, there’s a unique alternative that sounds like it’d be a heck of a lot more fun.

In place of the typical rigidly structured group tour itinerary, Competitours will fly you and a friend off on a European adventure that’s essentially a recreational version of The Amazing Race TV show.  Your initial destination won’t be revealed until just days before you board the plane, but you can expect to visit up to a half-dozen countries over the course of your 10-14 day trip.

Along the way you’ll be competing against 16 other two-person teams in your choice of a dozen daily “competitasks,” challenges that will have you finding your way through unfamiliar surroundings and interacting with locals in a way most tourists could scarcely imagine.  You’ll document your feats on inexpensive camcorders and upload the videos for review by an independent panel of judges.  But that’s where the similarities with the TV show end as these tasks emphasize strategy and creativity over physical strength and stamina.

While I suspect the real reward is in the extraordinary experience of the competition itself, the winning team goes home with a Grand Prize package that includes airfare and hotel points that can be used at more than 100 Starwood Hotels properties worldwide.  They’ll even throw in a nice chunk of spending cash to help you make the most out of what’s bound to be a more laid-back journey.

Comments

*Name and email are required to confirm your comment,
but your email address will never be displayed.

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

1 SteveB January 18, 2009 at 6:00 am

Hello Alan-

Thanks for the coverage on your blog. Your summary provided a terrific overview and flavor of our team travel competition trip.

Hope you’ll consider coming aboard!

Cheers!’

Steve Belkin
President/Janitor
Competitours

2 pamela February 1, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Sounds great, but for those that are truly interested in a real mano-mano global travel adventure competition of epic quality and scope…one that will visit 10 countries across 4 contintents over a three week period…and crown The World’s Greatest Travelers…see The Global Scavenger Hunt. http://www.GlobalScavengerHunt.com…That’s the place were Steve got his idea from!

3 Kevin Evans February 12, 2009 at 8:40 am

5 countries in 14 days is pretty fast-paced, but to win you’ll need to be pretty up to speed on the places before you go. I reckon Competitours will be like a master-class – deep-dive learning on specific countries and cultures you’re interested in.

Sounds like a blast. We’re going to send some writers (not me unfortunately :-( ) to document the practice run in March.

Check out The Travel Editor.com’s write up here:

4 Tyler MacNiven May 27, 2009 at 4:05 pm

I’m Tyler MacNiven, I won season 9 of the Amazing Race. If you want to race around the world without being a secret agent or Amazing Race contestant, then Competitours is the best bet. I’ve been itching for race-mode again so I signed up for a Competitours race this summer. I’ll be racing with the fastest lady I know: my Mother. It is a magical experience to charge through foreign landscapes with intense, fun, and creative missions. Competitours focuses more on creativity and fun than high level stress. Winning formula if you ask me. Come race with us!

5 Alan Rider May 29, 2009 at 4:03 am

Thanks Tyler ! Good luck to both you and your mom and HAVE FUN!

6 Tyler July 27, 2009 at 10:14 am

It’s race day! (only if you are in China, because it’s still the 27th here in San Francisco). Tomorrow my Mother and I hitch a metal bird to Geneva Switzerland to begin challenging ten other innocent teams on a race of wit and mental prowess. My Mother, of whom they based the character Nancy Drew on, and I have wild expectations of expecting the unexpected. Adventure, excitement, delicious European food! Here we come!!

7 Tyler July 27, 2009 at 1:52 pm

also, the action can be followed on the Competitours forum: forum.competitours.com.

{ 3 trackbacks }